Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Wording Your Wedding Thank You Notes
If someone has taken the time to give you a wedding gift, you need to take the time to respond with a thank you note. There is nothing ruder than not sending a simple thank you to your guests - no ifs, no buts, you have to do this! If you're not used to putting pen to paper, don't fret. Here is our simple guide to creating a sincere and thoughtful thank you note after your wedding day.
- The first rule of wedding thank you's comes into play before the notes are written. Take the time to write down who gave you what gift in a notebook or spreadsheet as you open the gifts. This means you will avoid any embarrassing mistakes about who gave you which gift.
- Secondly, purchase some thank you note paper or wedding thank you cards. You may wish to have them match your wedding invitations and stationery and have them personalised with your new monogram or married name. Make sure you order enough for all of your wedding guests as well as some extras to say thanks to people who give you surprise gifts such as work colleagues and family friends not on the guest list.
- Traditionally, brides would tackle the job of writing thank you notes alone, but now it is best to share the load. Why not have the groom respond to his friends and family, and the bride respond to her friends and family. That way, you tackle the job much more quickly and without too much fuss.
- Make sure your notes are hand written. It may seem fussy in this digital age, but older guests will not forgive a computer printed or emailed thank you note.
- Start by addressing the thank you note to the person who signed the card to you and make sure you mention all of the people who presented the gift to you. An example is Dear Mr and Mrs Semple for more formal thank you notes, or Dear Greg and Alison for more informal notes to friends.
- Make sure you reference the gift given to you. For example, The champagne flutes you gave to us as a wedding gift are simply beautiful and we can't wait to use them to toast our future together.
- If the gift was money, simply mention how you will use the cash, rather than referencing the amount given.
- Include a last expression of thanks and gratitude e.g. We appreciate the kind words you wrote in your card and your lovely gift.
- Sign off from yourself as With Love From Us Both followed by your name only or if you're writing for both of you, With Love, and then both of your names.
- Ensure you address the card correctly and send it within a month of returning from your honeymoon.
The basic rule with thank you notes is to make sure the message is sincere. If you forget to send a note within the usual timeframe, still send one with an apology for your tardiness. It is better late than never!
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.