Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Wedding Invitation Basics
A wedding invitation is the first signal to others that your wedding day is on the horizon. It also sets the tone of your wedding and signals your wedding theme. With a few simple words and a design reflecting your wedding day, your
guests gain an idea of what to expect at your wedding. Whether formal, informal, elegant or amusing, a wedding invitation announces the newlyweds' style.
Choosing a wedding invitation that fits you - and not every other couple out there - will also make it easier to coordinate other elements in your wedding celebration. It's always a good idea to start with an inspiration board before you consider your stationery style, as this will help you bring your stationery together with the theme of your wedding day.
Here are some things to consider:
- Choose an invitation that reflects your wedding style and theme. Establish a thread of consistency by considering colour, theme, motif, as well as the time of year of your wedding. For example, if you choose a blood red invitation, you might echo that colour in your bridesmaid's dresses, flowers and table settings. If you choose an elaborate floral invitation you may choose the same flowers in your floral bouquet.
- Take the time to consider papers, typefaces, colours and emblems that you love, before you head off to purchase your stationery.
- To save on time and money, order all your stationery from the same place, and ideally, at the same time.
- Remember to keep it simple: even an elaborate looking invitation is a simple, yet elegant combination of materials. Add one too many colours or patterns and your concept becomes too busy.
- Your invitation should be easy to read. You may need to avoid extremely ornate script fonts, and certain paper colour-and-ink combinations. The type should be large enough to be read without squinting!
- Order more invitations than you need. Many brides are shocked when their estimation of how many invitations they need falls short. Take the agony out of the equation by ordering at least 20% more than you think you need and use these as spares.
- If you're writing by hand, don't use a ballpoint pen for handwritten invitations. Flat-tipped pens and calligraphy pens create neater invitations in around the same amount of time. Better still, invest in the services of a professional calligrapher.
- Get the wording right. These days, family relationships are complicated. If you are unsure how to word your invitation so that everyone feels included, then ask.
- Take the time to proof read. If spelling's not your strong point, ask someone who loves nothing more than proof reading with a red pen! Time-starved brides will often skim over their invitations, rather than examine them line-by-line. This leads to embarrassing word omissions, spelling errors, grammatical mistakes and misspelt guest names.
- Stick to your budget. The ‘spare-no-expense' attitude won't necessarily buy you a better wedding invitation. There's no reason to sink heavily into debt just to have a lovely-looking invite. Sometimes the simplest invitations are the most sophisticated.
- Keep your groom in mind! While it's true that many men have no interest in the finer points of wedding preparations, it's important that you share your choices with your future husband. You don't want him to be embarrassed by your choice of teddy bears and love hearts!
- Make sure you provide sufficient postage for your invitation. After all, you don't want the dreaded ‘insufficient postage' stamp to deface your invitations!
- If you are having an informal celebration, consider saving postage costs by simply requesting an RSVP by telephone or email.
- Create a master guest list that includes your guest list, when invitations were sent and what replies have been received.
- Consider wedding stationery shopping online. Not only is it safe and convenient, online suppliers can save you hundreds of dollars.
With all the amazing materials and incredible wedding stationery designs on the market, it's not difficult to think creatively. There are options to suit every wedding budget, from a few dollars per invitation for do-it-yourself craft supplies to a bespoke, personalised wedding invitation. Pink Frosting has a beautiful range of unique wedding invitations and wedding invitation supplies to help you create the wedding invitations of your dreams.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.