Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
10 Unique Wedding Cake Ideas
Make no mistake, your wedding cake can be as unconventional, unique and whimsical as your wedding day. You don't have to stick to formal and traditional at all. If your day is informal or unexpected, then why not create a wedding cake to suit? Here are some unique wedding cake ideas that you might like to include in your wedding day.
- Consider a shape or profile that is unconventional. Try a low profile, large or wide based cake with two tiers, or make the tiers look unbalanced for a fun look. One of the most lovely ideas for a unique wedding cake is to have your designer layer the tiers on angles and then use a balancing cake topper such as a crystal monogram cake letters in complementary colours. Divine!
- Explore the possibilities of flavour. If you want a unique cake for your guests, also consider unconventional wedding cake flavours for your cake. Why not a rainbow marble mud cake? An applesauce flavour for a home-style wedding. A spicy chilly mud cake for a dark and romantic affair.
- Display your cake in a unique way. As with every aspect of your wedding decorations, think about your wedding cake as a decorative feature for your wedding reception and how it works with the rest of your wedding scheme. The cake is central to your reception decorations, so if you choose a unique cake, also consider how it will be presented in a whimsical way. Will it sit on a small table by itself, or will you have it presented on a dessert table. What sort of wedding decorations will you include on the wedding cake table? Consider personalised table cloths and runners, lanterns and centrepieces which work with the theme and colour scheme of your wedding cake.
- Cake toppers finish the cake. Stunning wedding cake toppers can take a plain cake and make it very unique indeed. Take some monogram crystal cake letters, couture cake hearts or bride and groom figurines (oh these are so much more fun than every before) and you can transform an ordinary cake into something extraordinary.
- Size counts! For unconventional cakes, go as big as you want! Generally, if you want your cake to stand out and become a centrepiece decoration for your wedding reception, then consider going big, big and bigger! You can go super tall with the tiers (even up to 8) with tiny cakes as well if you don't have alot of guests. Don't worry about waste - serve generous portions to your guests and save some for the after party the next day.
- When a wedding cake is not a wedding cake at all. If you want a unique wedding cake, then consider not having one at all. Why not have a cupcake tree, a stack of beautiful cookies or mini cakes, or a cake tower of cheeses or fruit instead of a traditional dessert cake.
- Colour me pretty. Don't be afraid of using colour in your wedding cake. Cakes do not have to be white or ivory, but can be made into any colour of the rainbow. Consider really hot colours like fuchsia pinks, purples and mauves for garden weddings, as well as sandy beach colours for a destination wedding. If Tiffany boxes are your style, you can even have your cake iced in Tiffany Blue fondant. Let your imagination go wild.
- Give your cake a personality. Your cake is a personal statement about you as a couple, so why not have fun with the design. Let your cake speak to your wedding guests about you - if you love motorbikes then why not theme your cake this way? Travel bugs? Then why not a wedding cake in the shape of a travel bag?
- Lopsided cakes look loopy and fun! Ask your wedding designer to create a cake that has lopsided layers for a fun effect that can really show your personality to your guests.
- Personalise your wedding cake toppers. Consider asking your wedding cake designer to create a stylised sugar version of you and the groom for the cake topper. Fun cartoonish wedding cake toppers will make your guests smile and will be a treasured memory for you as well.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.