Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Red Velvet Cake & Cupcakes Recipe
Red velvet cakes and cupcakes are such a heavenly dessert - buttery and rich with a stunning look, these party treats are wonderful and very popular for adult birthday parties, dinner parties, weddings and even kids birthday parties when the colour theme screams red. Here's our favourite recipe for this old-fashioned favourite, which can be used for either cupcakes or layered cakes.
3 1/3 cups of plain flour
3/4 cup of unsalted butter - softened
2 1/4 cups caster sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
6 tablespoons of red food colouring (just the kind you buy in the supermarket is just fine)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of vanilla custard (we use the supermarket variety which you can purchase in the cold section)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- If you're making cupcakes, place 24 cupcake baking cases into two cupcake trays. If you're making a cake, great and lightly flour three 22cm round cake baking trays and line the bottom with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together, mixing the combination well and leave this bowl to the side.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and the caster sugar until creamy and pale. This takes around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat after each egg is added.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa, vanilla, salt and red food colouring until smooth. Add to the creamed butter mixture and beat well.
- Pour in the custard and mix until combined. The mixture will look like it has split at this point.
- Pour into the flour and combine until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between your pans - it's best to use an icecream scoop for the cupcake cups to ensure the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes for the cakes, and around 20-25 minutes for the cupcakes. To test, place a knife into the centre of one of the cakes and if it comes out clean, the cakes are done.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for about an hour, then remove carefully and cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cakes have completely cooled, frost with our Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.