Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Party Meringues Recipe
Making meringues is so much easier than you might think, and they are such a versatile party food. They can be used as a sweet treat all by themselves or you can use them to decorate your cake or cupcakes. Here is our basic party meringues recipe with some fun ideas on how to use them at your next party.
4 large egg whites at room temperature
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees celcius
- Get seriously busy whisking those egg whites with the pinch of salt until they are stiff and dry. Unless you have brilliant arm muscles, we recommend you use an electric beater.
- If you are colouring your meringues, this is the time to add a drop of food colouring. You will find that colouring paste will work better than drops, but it really depends on what is easily available to you when you're cooking.
- Gradually add the sugar, and stop whisking once stiff peaks form. If this is your first time, you might be surprised at how long this can take.
- Now is the fun part! Create your meringues by piping them or spooning them onto a lined baking tray (use greaseproof oven paper) and make sure you space them at least a couple of cm apart.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, but this really depends on the size of the meringues you're making. For small meringues, you will need less cooking time and slightly longer for large meringues. Once cooked, switch off the oven and leave them inside to cool completely with the oven door closed for at least a couple of hours, preferrably overnight.
Ideas for using your Meringues
- Pretty meringues make a beautiful party food, particularly as they are so delicate and sweet looking. Simply pop mini meringues into a beautiful serving dish or glass bowl and line with pretty party doilies to create a stunning effect for a baby shower, bridal shower, children's birthday party or other pretty event.
- Give your meringues as party favours! Take a pretty party bag or create a paper cone using paper that matches your party theme (make double sided tape your friend and stick the cone together easily, threading some thin ribbons to create the effect in our image below). Fill with colourful meringues and your guests will adore their party favours as a very special treat.
- Add some hundreds and thousands, cachous or other edible sprinkle decorations to the tops of the meringues after you have spooned them onto the baking trays to create a fun and unique party treat for guests.
- Create some interesting shapes with your meringues, such as our Halloween Bones meringues perfect for scary parties and Halloween.
- Dot mini meringues around a round party cake iced with buttercream icing, and you will have a stunning creation. Start from the bottom of the cake and place the meringues side by side at the base, then move up the cake in the same pattern until you finish in the middle of the top of the cake. For a really fun effect, graduate the colour of the meringues as you progress up the cake.
- Sandwich meringues together to create meringue cookies. Use a thin spread of buttercream icing on one side and a thin spread of jam on the other and carefully put the two insides together to create a beautiful creamy sweet dessert.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.