Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Fancy Dress Party Ideas
Dress up parties or fancy dress parties are a fantastic way to bring your theme to life at your birthday party, Halloween party or other special event. Guests become more involved in the celebration as they spend time planning the costume they will wear. Just be careful not to make the theme too complicated as guests won't enjoy the planning process if it is difficult and expensive. Here are some great ideas for fancy dress party themes for your next event:
- Dress as the time you opened the invite - This is a fun one! Get guests to dress as someone from the 1830s if they open their invitation at 6.30pm, or someone from the future if they open their invitation at 10pm at night (the year 2200). This type of party helps break the ice too as guests get all excited to tell the story of when they opened the invitation and what they are dressed as.
- Tropical Beach Theme - Try Hawaii 5-0, Baywatch or lost on a tropical island. All are fun for a barbecue in your backyard, especially if you have a pool.
- Your Childhood Dream - Did you want to be a doctor, cowboy, ballerina, movie star, fireman or astronaut when you were growing up? Chances are most of your guests had a fantastical dream of what they would be when they grew up too and will have a fun story to tell.
- James Bond - Ask your guests to come dressed as a James Bond character or a Bond Girl and watch the sophistication fly! If you have the budget, organise a bar tender to create your own Bond cocktails for the night.
- Superhero - If you ask your guests to come dressed as their favourite super hero character or with a super skill they would love to have you are in for a very fun night!
- Alphabet fancy dress - Give your guests a letter (such as the first letter of the guest of honour's name) and ask them to dress as something starting with this letter. You can serve food and drinks all starting with this letter too to keep the theme alive during the night.
- Colour - If the guest of honour has a favourite colour, this can serve as the colour dress code for the evening. Take inspiration from Elton John's white party every year and make sure you serve drinks and food in the colour of choice and choose party decorations in the colour scheme as well.
- Roaring '20s Dinner Party - Get sophisticated not messy with a roaring 20s dinner party inspired by The Great Gatsby. Choose a delectable menu to serve your friends and lay out your best china and glasses. Buy a bottle of the best French Champagne you can afford and make sure this is your very first legal sip! So chic.
- Year of Birth - This is a really fun fancy dress idea for your 18th. Get everyone to dress in a costume representing the year the guest of honour was born. There's heaps of great 80s and 90s gear in op shops to get you inspired. Don't forget to plan the music from this era as well. Fun!
- Famous Couples - For anniversary parties or engagements, ask your guests to come dressed as famous couples such as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Cinderella and Prince Charming or the Beckhams!
- Masked Ball - Be inspired by the Venetians and ask guests to come dressed in masked costumes. The masks can be as elaborate as the costumes themselves. This fun party is perfect for 30th and 40th birthday parties with a sophisticated edge.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.