Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Beautiful Budget Ideas for Brides - Make Your Wedding Budget Work Harder
With the average Aussie wedding costing well over $35k, we know that brides and grooms are looking for ways to save some $$s for the things that count. A little bit of careful planning and some savvy shopping means that you can have the wedding day of your dreams without it costing you all of your savings. Here are some of our favourite wedding budget ideas to try:
- The number one tip is simply to shop around and ask for the best price. Although you are falling in love with venues, dresses, honeymoons and decorations, now is not the time to get all coy about negotiating. If you're not a negotiator, bring in someone close to you who is to talk money with your suppliers. They won't be caught up in the emotion and can get the best price. It's amazing what discounts vendors will give you if you just ask.
- Try a cocktail party instead of a sit down dinner for your reception. This trick means you can have more dancing (your guests will be standing and swaying with their champagne) and you can be far more versatile with your menu. Think loads of different finger food options rather than a heavy sit down meal.
- Think about those close to you who can contribute to the day through favours and great deals. Do you have a cousin who is a florist? A favourite Aunty who makes beautiful cakes? Your brother's best friend loves DJing events? All of these contributions, even if they're not free, will save you a pretty penny. And, the memories created by close friends and family contributing to the day will be lasting and very special.
- Choose flowers in season. If you've chosen Summer for your wedding day, choose flowers that are available in the Summer season. Check our flowers by season guide to give you some great ideas. If you choose flowers that are out of season, they will be super expensive as they may need to be flown in for your big day. Think big dollars!
- Videographers can be super expensive, and although many of them create amazing memories of your big day, perhaps asking some of your nearest and dearest to bring along their phones and take videos that can be mashed together for a gorgeous video will be the perfect solution without bringing in a Hollywood director.
- Pew decorations can be an expense that is wasteful if you're using fresh flowers. Why not jump on the paper decorations trend and use paper tassel garlands and paper pom poms like paper flowers for your pews? We bet your guests will adore them!
- Limit the choice of alcohol at your reception to champagne and beer. Having an open bar is an expense that isn't necessary - most of your guests will be thrilled to have a glass of bubbly or two to celebrate your special day!
- Host the ceremony and reception at the same location. This gives you more bargaining power with the venue when you are negotiating the price, and also saves on the cost of transport for you and the wedding party between venues.
- Don't hire cars unless you have your heart set on something really spesh. Ask a friend or relative who has a gorgeous car to drive you to and from the ceremony. No doubt they will be thrilled to be asked and have their special car on show!
- Have your wedding on a day other than a Saturday. Many couples are opting for weekday weddings so they can take advantage of special deals that venues offer for off-peak events.
- DIY as much as you can! Think wedding bomboniere as chocolate hearts in a wedding favour box with a personalised wedding sticker that you assemble yourself. Or, make your centrepieces with mirror bases, lots of cheap candles and pretty diamond scatters. Assemble them yourself the day beforehand if the venue will let you, and you'll even save on the cost of a decorator!
- Think about what is most important to you and splurge on that, then scrimp on the things that just aren't that important to you. For example, if your dream wedding is all about the designer gown and flowers, and less about the food and wine, then spend on the dress and florist and make savings on your menu.
- Think about using a wedding planner. We know that sounds counter intuitive, but because they have the industry knowledge, great connections for your vendors and can do the negotiating for you, you may well find that you can get a better result for your budget if you use a wedding professional.
- Make a budget and stick to it. It really is much easier to save money on your wedding day if you have a realistic budget that you spend time executing and maintaining throughout the planning process.
Do you have any great ideas for saving money on a wedding? Please share with us in the comments.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.