Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Wedding Dress Fabrics
Regardless of whether you choose a wedding gown off the rack or have it made to measure, your selection of fabric can make a big difference to the overall look and feel of your wedding dress. Below is a list of the most common fabrics, so that you can speak with confidence in bridal shops or with wedding dress seamstresses.
- Brocade: a rich, heavy fabric with a raised design, generally with gold or silver threads on a satin weave background; popular for period-style wedding dresses where the bodice and skirt is made of damask or brocade.
- Charmeuse: A semi-lustrous, lightweight satin, less shiny than regular satin; a good choice for draping or if you want fluidity of movement.
- Chiffon: Semi-transparent, fine fabric with a very soft finish; feminine and elegant, perfect for draping, and for veils, sleeves or layers over other fabric.
- Crêpe: A lightweight and versatile fabric perfect for draping; suitable for after five cocktail dresses, bridesmaid dresses and evening gowns.
- Crêpe de Chine: a light, shimmering silk material from China; a superb choice for a romantic style wedding gown.
- Damask: similar to brocade, but of a lighter weight.
- Duchess satin: a lustrous, heavy fabric made from a combination of silk and rayon; perfect for traditional wedding dresses.
- Organza: Stiffer than chiffon, this fabric is often used for multi-tiered skirts.
- Satin: Glossy on one side and dull on the other. An elegant and extravagant fabric.
- Shantung: A rough texture similar to raw silk with an uneven surface and luminous quality; is made form a combination of thick and thin yarns.
- Silk: Luxurious and strong, a natural fibre made from the cocoon of silkworms.
- Taffeta: Crisp, plain-weave light fabric which can be either shiny or matt in finish. It makes a rustling sound with movement.
- Thai silk: a smooth, light and tactile fabric that looks best made-up in simple stylish gowns.
- Tulle: a fine net; the popular choice for wedding veils or trains.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.