Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Traditional Toffee Apple Recipe
Toffee apples are such a beautiful traditional celebration treat. We love them at kids birthday parties, school fetes, garden parties, tea parties and as a wonderful wedding favour presented just like we have here for guests to take home with a sweet message from the bride and groom printed on a personalised favour tag. Here's our fail-safe toffee apple recipe for you to try at home. Our recipe makes 15 small apples or 12 large apples.
15 small red apples or 12 large red apples - we love Red Delicious the best for this recipe. Wash the apples and completely dry them.
4 cups of white sugar
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Red food colouring
15 wooden sticks - you can buy paddlepop sticks from the supermarket and other fun sticks from your local art and craft shop.
- At the base of the apple, push in the stick until it is about 2cm inside the apple.
- Line 2 large baking or cookie trays with baking paper.
- Using a large saucepan on a low heat, add sugar and water and stire well until the sugar has completely dissolved. Then, stop stirring when the mixture has dissolved and place the heat on high. Bring the mixture to the boil. Add cream of tartar and food colouring to the mix and brush away any sugar crystals around the pan into the mixture with a pastry brush.
- Again reduce the heat and allow the toffee to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- You know the toffee is ready when it reaches 154 degrees (if you have a candy thermometer) or if not, it reaches"crack stage". You can test this by placing a spoonful of the toffee mixture into a glass of icy water. If the toffee bends and cracks, it is ready.
- Once the toffee has stopped boiling, dip the apples into the toffee ensuring you coat the apple completely including the stick as the toffee will help the stick stay put.
- Place each of the apples with the stick side up on the baking tray to cool and set at room temperature away from direct sunlight.
- To give as gifts, cover the toffee apples with cellophane and wrap in ribbon with a personalised tag.
You can purchase gorgeous party napkins, plates and cups and other party supplies in complementary colours for serving your yummy toffee apple treats at Australia's number one online wedding and party shop, Pink Frosting.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.