Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Order of Service at a Religious Marriage Ceremony
The order of service, of sequence of events, at a religious marriage ceremony is usually longer than a civil service. The timing and sequence of events will depend on the house of worship you’ve decided upon for your wedding, but usually includes the following elements:
- Opening words: the officiant welcomes the guests, introduces the couple and states the purpose of the gathering.
- Opening prayer: the officiant sets the religious tone of the ceremony.
- Charge to the couple: the bride and groom are reminded that they are taking a solemn vow before God and all the witnesses gathered before them.
- Declaration of consent: the bride and groom confirm that they are entering freely into the marriage contract.
- Presentation of the bride: the father (or a close relative) usually gives the bride to her husband-to-be.
- Religious readings: readings will vary depending on the institution. Check with your officiant for an endorsed list of readings.
- Exchange of vows: the couple express the covenant between two people.
- Blessing and ring presentation: the bride and groom exchange rings. The officiant blesses the couple and the commitment they have made.
- Declaration of marriage: the celebrant announces that the couple is officially married, and the bride and groom may kiss.
- Wedding prayers: after the couple have exchanged vows, they ask for God’s blessing.
- Signing of the register: the happy couple sign the register and the officiant presents the couple with the certificate that precedes their receipt of their formal marriage certificate.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.