Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Ideas for Wedding Cakes on a Budget
A wedding cake can run into several thousands of dollars, and elaborate cakes that double as works of art can fetch upwards of $10,000. If you don't have this kind of cash to throw at your cake, then read our professional tips on how to save money on your wedding cake without compromising on style.
- The number one tip for saving money on your cake, is to not save money on the cake. Save money on your catering by serving your wedding cake as the dessert instead! If you let your caterer cut the cake and serve to guests at the reception, it is much cheaper than serving dessert to your wedding guests. This should give you a little more to spend on your cake for the look and style you adore.
- Organise with your cake designer for a small but elaborately decorated cake for cake cutting only. Then, have them deliver a large, iced but undecorated kitchen cake which can be sliced and served as dessert to your guests. Guests will never know the difference.
- Don't go elaborate on the decorations. The time saved by the wedding cake designer on decorating the cake will mean a cheaper bill for you. Labour is the most expensive part of the cake decorator's quote, so if you ask for something simple which can be adorned with a wedding cake topper or monogrammed cake letters or hearts, or even fresh flowers for a beautiful cake without the big cost.
- Ask if you can pick up the cake. Cake decorators will charge you a delivery and set up charge, so if they will allow you to pick up the cake and deliver it to the venue and set it up on the cake table yourself, you'll definitely save some money.
- Choose your flavours wisely. Many wedding cake flavours can be expensive, such as the traditional fruit cake. Choose a lighter alternative and you'll save dollars on your wedding cake bill.
- Make the cake yourself. Many couples are choosing to make their own wedding cakes or have someone in their family bake the cake instead of hiring a designer at all. If you have someone handy in the kitchen, make sure you are prepared for the cake not to look as designed or polished as a professional cake, but equally a home made cake can be more filled with love and more meaningful for your wedding day.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.