Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
15 Tips to Better Baking for Parties
Follow our handy tips for successful baking and you'll be making yummy treats - cakes, cupcakes and cookies - for your next kids birthday party with ease. Here are our top tips for perfect baking first time, every time:
- Make sure everything is clean before you start including your own hands.
- The French always have everything prepared before they start and this is a great tip for cooking no matter what you're making! Lay out your ingredients, pans, measuring equipment and pans before you begin.
- Turn on the oven to the desired temperature before you begin mixing your ingredients. Make sure the racks are in the right position before the oven gets hot. That way it will be ready when you are!
- Make sure you have the correct sized baking pan for your cake or cupcakes. Using the wrong size will mean the recipe won't turn out.
- Prepare your pans properly. Butter the pan first, then sprinkle with flour. Tap out the excess flour before you add your cake mix to the pan.
- Ensure all of your ingredients are at room temperature unless the recipe says otherwise.
- To measure dry ingredients correctly, fill your measuring cup or spoon until its at the top, then level off with a spatula or a knife.
- To measure liquid ingredients correctly, place the cup on a bench and bend down to eye level to make sure it is accurate.
- Try this great butter measuring tip - to measure half a cup of butter, fill a measuring cup to half way with water then fill the cup with butter until the water reaches the one cup line. Genius.
- Always use a large bowl for mixing, unless you want to lose half your mixture on the bench and floors!
- Know your oven well - each oven is different, so don't assume the exact timing on the recipe. Give or take depending on whether your oven runs hot or cold.
- You know a cake is cooked when you can insert and remove a toothpick or knife into the centre of the cake and it comes out dry.
- Always allow your cake to stand in its pan before removing for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut your cake into shape using a serrated edge knife and use a sawing motion.
- Always cool your cake completely before adding icing or frosting.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.