Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Best Tips for Organising Fun Kids Party Games
Kids love playing games at parties. It's one of the big joys for the little ones, and one of the biggest stresses for the adults! As any teacher will tell you, controlling an excited room of kids is not an easy feat at all. You have the issue of overly excited kids taking over and not listening to your instructions or following rules. Shy kids not wanting to partipate and feeling left out... But it is possible to hold successful games for the little ones with minimum fuss. Here are our best tips:
- Try and have a few adults available to assist with games. If you don't have other adults, sometimes older siblings can be the best helpers! Talk with them about the rules and give them a job to do and life for you as the host will be much easier.
- Sometimes rules need to be bent to ensure that little kids get a proper go and don't feel left out. Older kids usually understand this, but you might need to explain!
- Start the party with an ice-breaker game so that the kids get to know one another and settle into the party and venue. Parties like our autograph game or a treasure hunt work well.
- Play some team games as well as individual games so that the kids that work well under different circumstances all get a chance to do their best.
- Have small prizes - nothing over the top. As much as it might be enticing to give away large and exciting prizes to the kids, it will only cause fighting and upsets. It's better to have smaller prizes that each child receives. Don't forget to have prizes for everyone participating - although there is an argument that kids need to understand about winning and losing - a party is not the forum for teaching these big life lessons! It's supposed to be all about fun.
- Be age appropriate with your choices. It goes without saying that you don't want to have reading based games for toddlers or longer-spanning games for kids that aren't old enough to have a long attention span.
- Try and plan a few more games than you think you will need. Sometimes a party simply needs some extra "oomph" and having some Plan B ideas up your sleeve is always an excellent idea.
- Be flexible. Don't get caught up in needing to finish the games you planned to perfection simply because they are on your run sheet. If a game has lost its fizz, move on and start something else or give the kids a break for a while to run around without a planned activity.
- For games where kids get eliminated such as musical chairs, have some activities prepared for the eliminated participants. Maybe the first child out can take control of the music so they feel involved throughout the rest of the game.
- Try and theme your games to fit in with your party. If you're having a princess themed party, change the basic game to suit e.g. instead of pin the tail on the donkey, try pin the tiara on the princess.
- Theme your prizes for the party. There are many amazing party favours available at Pink Frosting that give you plenty of prizes to give out to kids based on your theme.
- Don't be scared to buy some pre-prepared games. Party shops like Pink Frosting offer you lots of fun party games that are prepared and ready for you to use at your party, taking the stress out of planning creative and unique party games for your kids.
- Save the best for last! You want to end the party on a high note, so save your best party game for the last half an hour so the kids are all really excited when their parents arrive to pick them up. You want them buzzing for more when they leave - they've had so much fun they want more, more, more!
The Pink Frosting Parties team has assembled some great kids party games ideas to inspire you. We'd love you to share your favourites with us!
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.