Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Beautiful Makeup for Your Wedding Day
You want to look your very, most gorgeous best on your wedding day. Makeup artist Elsa Morgan from Beautyeditor.com.au shares her top tips for looking your most beautiful for your big day.
- Know your lighting: Think about what time of the day you’ll be being photographed and consider the implications. For instance, if it’s bright middle-of-the-day light or you’ll be using a strong flash, you can go a little stronger with your makeup, but it will also be crucial to control shine. Soft late-afternoon light is generally the most flattering.
- Have a trial run: While most of us want to look like ourselves on the day, some brides decide to try a look that’s a real departure from their usual. For some women, this is often the only event they’ve been the #1 star of, so how fun to play it up! Or maybe you’re having a themed wedding or just want a real red carpet look. Whatever the reason, take a trial run. You need to see if the look you’re going for even suits you and, furthermore, can you (or your makeup artist) actually achieve it. Choose a special night to try it out - say, a date with your fiancé (then you get to judge his reaction!), or your hen’s night. If you feel a million bucks, then go for it! If you run anxiously to the bathroom every hour to check if your false lashes have ended up on your chin, consider how dealing with this stress may affect the fun of your wedding day.
- Pick your play: The general makeup artist rule of "play-up-eyes-or-lips" applies to wedding makeup, especially if you’re wearing white, because strong makeup can be overwhelming. If you emphasise your eyes, go for nude or natural-toned lips. But if you opt for a bold lip colour, choose a long-lasting lipstick (Revlon has a great range). You don’t want it disappearing - or reappearing on your husband’s lips! And avoid the urge to top it off with lip gloss - again, for your husband’s sake!
- Top tints: In general, soft tawny browns and greys, as well as gold and peachy colours, work very well as wedding makeup colour schemes. But it should ultimately depend on your own colouring.
- Base notes: When it comes to foundation, a touch of an illuminating glow adds impact, but if you’re at all concerned with shine control, stick to matte and use an illuminator strategically (tops of brow bone and cheekbone, inner corner of the eye, décolletage), keeping the rest of the face lightly powdered. A touch of blush is also a must - particularly if you’re in all-white, which can wash you out. Try a rose-hued cheek stain, which gives a natural finish and great longevity.
- Cry-proof eyes: There’s bound to be a tear or twenty, so use waterproof eye makeup. Dior DorShow Waterproof Mascara ($49 from department stores) is an all-time favourite. And any Revlon ColorStay product really won’t budge. If you want to line your eyes, go for a liquid over a kohl liner, as it will stay put for ages.
- Best-kept secret: A few carefully placed individual clusters of false lashes at the outer edge of the lashline adds glamour but is surprisingly natural-looking. (Try: Model Co Lash Out Individual Lashes + Glue, $18, from Model Co Shop). And have your lashes tinted and brows expertly groomed brows to add polish to your look.
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.