Australia's BIGGEST Weddings & Party Sale STARTS NOW! Hurry, while stock lasts! >Shop Now
Alternatives to a Traditional Wedding Cake
If you and your hubby to be aren't big eaters of baked goods, and the thought of a traditional fruit cake as your wedding day centrepiece makes you cringe - never fear! There are plenty of ideas for alternatives to a traditional wedding cake - and mixed dried fruit is nowhere in sight!
Here are some great ideas that you might like to incorporate into your wedding day as an alternative to a cake:
- One of the hottest ideas is a lolly buffet or dessert buffet for your guests. Follow the lead of incredible event stylists like Amy Atlas, Mon Tresor and Sharnel Dollar and put together a selection of delectable treats for your guests to scoop into colourful and themed party bags. Can you imagine the delight on their faces as they scoop little morsels of goodness into their treat bags? Divine!
- Do you and your fiance have a really special dessert or treat that is meaningful to you? Maybe it's fairy floss you shared on your first date or a special dessert you always share at your favourite restaurant. If you have a significant dessert you love, then why not serve this in place of a traditional cake? Share the story with your guests through your speeches or special signage displayed at the dessert table for guests to read and enjoy.
- Many couples that don't have a sweet tooth between them have opted to have a cheese "cake" made in the shape of a traditional wedding cake instead of a traditional cake. This is a great idea for an alternative to dessert - ask your delicatessen to deliver three full rounds of cheese in different sizes and lay them on top of one another to create the tiered effect. Then, serve with delicious fresh fruit platters, crackers and dessert wine.
- If you love the idea of a fete or carnival feel to your wedding reception, why not hire an ice cream stand in place of a traditional dessert? Surprisingly inexpensive, you can hire a traditional ice cream van and ask them to serve delicious soft serve ice creams in cones and decadent sundaes to keep your guests coming back for more, and more, and more!
- Don't like baked cakes but adore decadent chocolates? Forget the cake and have your favourite chocolate shop make delicious truffles and flavoured chocolates which guests can enjoy throughout the reception. Platters can be served at the reception tables or in a chocolate buffet. If you're real chocoholics, then consider having other chocolate treats such as chocolate mousse, icecream, chocolate pies and more. Chocolate fondue and chocolate fountains are also a great alternative to wedding cake and will make your guests really smile! Mmmm chocolate heaven!
- If you do love cake but don't want a big traditional fruit cake, then why not have a cupcake tree filled with divine cupcakes in the flavours that you adore. You can create beautiful cupcakes yourself easily with the pretty cupcake baking cups in many themes and colours, cupcake wrappers, cupcake decorations and display towers for cupcakes from the range at Pink Frosting.
No matter what you choose, you can incorporate the traditions of cutting the wedding cake with all of these lovely ideas. Create cherished memories by including an engraved cake knife and serving set as part of the ceremony and you will be able to keep this with you for many years to come!
Wedding Ideas &
- Wedding Planning & Budgets
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Hairstyles & Makeup
- Wedding Shoes
- Bridesmaid Dresses & Beauty
- Wedding Themes
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Wedding Decorations
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Venues
- Wedding Cakes
- Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Wedding Vows & Readings
- Wedding Receptions
- Wedding Bomboniere & Favours
- Wedding Traditions and Etiquette
- Wedding Cars
- Wedding Photos & Photographers
- Wedding Music
- Flower Girls & Page Boys
- Engagement Party
- Wedding Anniversary
- Birthday Parties
- Kids Parties
- Adult Parties & Entertaining
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers & Kitchen Teas
- Cakes & Baking
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up for the Pink Frosting newsletter for the latest product arrivals, inspiring ideas for your events and sale alerts.